Tutorial: Burn stream network into DEM
|Site:||Open Courseware for GIS|
|Course:||QGIS Advanced Tutorials|
|Book:||Tutorial: Burn stream network into DEM|
|Printed by:||Guest user|
|Date:||Monday, 19 April 2021, 1:11 PM|
When we delineate a catchment, we need the stream network to identify the outlet. The automatically delineated channels, however, can deviate a lot from the channels we see on a map or satellite image.
When we have a river GIS layer available we can improve the catchment delineation by burning the stream network into the DEM.
After this tutorial you'll be able to:
- Download a river from OpenStreetMap using the QuickOSM plugin
- Preprocess a river vector before burning it into a DEM
- Burn a river into a DEM
2. Download river line vectors from OpenStreetMap
In this section we're going to download all river line vectors in the study area from OpenStreetMap.
1. Start QGIS Desktop with GRASS.
3. Style the DEM layer, using a colour ramp and blending with hillshade.